Amarillo Children's Home began out of a single decisive moment.
In 1923, Dr. R. Thomsen, minister for what is today's First Presbyterian Church, and some friends, including civic leaders Guy C. Saunders and Allen Early, Sr., were meeting for coffee when they saw three children standing outside, crying. The children were orphaned, hungry and in need of clean clothing. At this critical point, these men chose to act: to feed and clothe the children and find them proper care. As a result of their actions, Amarillo Children's Home officially opened March 1, 1924.
The first known location was a three story brick building in northwest Amarillo. Amarillo businessman and philanthropist, Allen Early, Sr., purchased and donated the old military school to provide housing for the children.
In the 1940’s, Amarillo Children’s Home saw the need and opportunity for children to be raised in a more family style environment – 10 acres of land were purchased from Charles Wolflin and construction was begun on four homes. In 1948, Amarillo Children’s Home moved to its present location at 34th and Bowie.
Amarillo Children’s Home now has seven homes on its campus and daily invests in our young people, fully expecting that as we do we are inspiring individual life change as well as generational change through children.
From our very inception in 1924, Amarillo Children's Home has been a product of the Panhandle community. Throughout our 90+ years, this community has given time, heart, gifts and funds. We have taken those blessings and battled for our children – providing so much more than food and shelter. The love, structure, sense of belonging and training the kids receive here allow them to give back to their community as respectful students and athletes, diligent workers and volunteers, dedicated moms and dads and honest businessmen and women.
Each of our homes utilizes proven age-appropriate methods to teach the kids skills necessary for a successful life. From table manners, to job interviewing, to building healthy relationships, these programs support our mission. However, the heart of each home and the campus is the consistent love and compassion provided by our Family Teaching couples, the Assistants and every other adult on campus as they seek to bring up these children – challenging them and providing them with a variety of opportunities so that they might grown into well-rounded, Christ-centered individuals.